Sunday, August 30, 2015

If you Get There Before I Do




Today we say good-bye to my Aunt Ellene. She has been much more than an Aunt. We have laughed, cried, and played together. She was always there for me and I always knew she loved me no matter what. I spent many summers with her and my uncle. I babysat my cousins and we spent most holidays together. She was in her 40's when she was diagnosed with M.S. We all learned what a horrible, debilitating disease it was. Slowly we watch the disease steal away the function of her body. Through it all she always smiled and kept her sense of humor. Her final words to me were I love you, I love you and I am so glad  you came to see me. I knew when I walked out her door a year ago in November  it would be the last time I would see her this side of heaven. She was the perfect example of a Christian, a loving wife, and mother. Good bye Aunt Ellene I will see you again on the other side of heaven's door.  This card is a scheduled post. The image is an old Sara Kay stamp. I thought it looked like someone saying good-bye. 
My Song: Collin Raye
I read a note my grandma wrote back in 1923
Grandpa kept it in his coat and he showed it once to me
He said, "Boy, you might not understand but a long, long time ago
Grandma's daddy didn't like me none but I loved your grandma so"
We had this crazy plan to meet and run away together
Get married in the first town we came to and live forever
But nailed to the tree where we were supposed to meet instead
I found this letter and this is what it said
If you get there before I do, don't give up on me
I'll meet you when my chores are through
I don't know how long I'll be but I'm not gonna let you down
Darling, wait and see
And between now and then 'til I see you again
I'll be loving you, love me
I read those words just hours before my grandma passed away

In the doorway of a church where me and grandpa stopped to pray
I know I'd never seen him cry in all my 15 years
But as he said these words to her, his eyes filled up with tears
If you get there before I do, don't give up on me
I'll meet you when my chores are through
I don't know how long I'll be but I'm not gonna let you down
Darling, wait and see
And between now and then 'til I see you again
I'll be loving you, love me
Between now and then 'til I see you again
I'll be loving you, love me

2 comments:

Ruth Ann Hunter said...

Oh My Patty, what an adorable card. I love the image and you colored it wonderfully,
the paper you used was a perfect choice. I really fell in love with your card and the song you picked is one of my favorites. Great job! hugs, Ruth Ann

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

A beautiful memory card. I'm so sorry for your lost. My brother has been diagnosed with ALS so I totally understand. What wonderful memories you will keep within and take a piece of her heart and soul where ever you go.